Monday, May 04, 2009

A solo run to the coast yesterday, beautiful conditions but as anticipated the perfect waves were no secret and it was packed.

I paddled out and decided to go to a 'happy place' in my head, drifted about and chatted out the back hoping one would come my way. After an hour of two waves caught with drop ins on both I decided, still smiling, to paddle up towards Rincon and see what fell my way.

On the way had another chat, and suddenly snagged a runner that took me on a speedy line that broke the ice and set up a sporadic wave here, wave there that fed the beast for another few days.

Maurice Cole paddled out about an hour in, always entertaining as he barks and rails against the crowds, longboards, drop ins, seagulls, low flying aircraft and anything else that annoys him. He's a great bloke, MC, but don't drop in. He has what seems to be his own private 200 metre point break as he picks up the Rincon runners that start way out the back and way inside, and thump all the way through the Bells bowl. Killer waves if you snag one and the dear boy has them dialed.

Balmy, light winds, and sun though cloud made it easy sitting and with that odd wave to keep me interested when I looked at the time thinking I'd spent maybe three hours tooling about it turned out to be closer to four.

Oops. Better get home before the sun is eclipsed by a flying rolling pin.

This morning up very early to get Joey to a film shoot. He gets hooked in as talent in short films every so often so today it was in to the cafe'd lanes of Melbourne to link him up with the crew.

Shots today, a quick snap of Bells yesterday, and the view from my cafe seat, toasted sandwich and coffee smell not attached, an hour or so ago.

PS: The Australian Chamber Orchestra is playing at Carnegie Hall as I type this (7:30 Sunday night NY time) and will be playing at Princeton in NJ tomorrow. Richard and Satu are chasing a surf Tuesday. New Yorkers, what is it looking like and any takers to take a couple of violin virtuosi for a splash?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Must have just missed you. I paddled out at Centreside about 1:00 pm and then paddled across to Rincon maybe 1/2 an hour later. Maurice was still there - but didn't stay too much longer. It was still good when I left around 3:00 pm. Sunday was supposed to be nice as well - a bit smaller though.