Wednesday, April 09, 2008

A quick post to keep the meter ticking and indicate there is a pulse beneath this wizened frame.

Last weekend I took my son Joey for a surf, with me, in my protective, fatherly way, trying to find a spot that fit the bill. Not too hard, but not too easy. A wave that would help a young goofy footer on his path to better surfing.

I chose a mellow reef called the Big Left, the forecast was pretty mild in the size department and I felt it a good match. We arrived to find it way bigger than expected, bomb sets and an unusually powerful swell, but a bit messed up at the same time.

Now as a concerned dad I wanted to keep an eye out for the dear boy, and naturally, in those circumstances, my concentration was a bit off.

I got caught by more sets than a penguin with a nail in it's foot, while Joey blissfully sat inside a bit and scored wave after wave.

Then a really big set turned up and we both got blasted shorewards, he decided to throw in the towel as his shoulder popped (again) and I headed over to a nearby right, joined the ridiculous crowd, managed to get a couple of good 'uns amidst the throng, while listening to the torrents of abuse being hurled skywards by some local boof head who insisted everyone else in the water was a kook except him.

Why can't people just sit there quietly and contemplate their navels?

Attached a couple of shots retrieved from my long dead camera, circa our January trip to the South Coast.

One, of me gazing wistfully towards a flat horizon, the other, a couple of days later as my prayers were answered.. with the lovely Pink Rocks showing a bit of form.















7 comments:

twin said...

"Why can't people just sit there quietly and contemplate their navels?"

Amen.

Anonymous said...

"Why can't people just sit there quietly and contemplate their navels?"

I was going to say the same thing. Great cool writings today Safe.

NiegĂ  said...

"(...)local boof head who insisted everyone else in the water was a kook except him."

Mmmmm, you've got some of those too??

NiegĂ 

David J. Hirsh said...

I like reading father and son stuff from other dads. Can't wait to see your film, Mick.

David

Bill said...

I like your blog alot, I too love the father son/daughter stuff and to me it is a priceless gift to surf with my son. I'm grateful for each and every time.
Enjoy it ! !

surf on Mick

Gaz said...

I never thought I'd say this, well at least to you Mick......... you have a lovely head of hair!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.